- Crayola Watercolour Paints
- Crayola Paint Brushes
- Water Containers
- Paper Towels
- Wooden Panel, e.g., Birch, Maple, Ash - .5 cm x 20 cm x 20 cm (.25" x 8" x 8") - 1 per student
- Use a small wooden panel such as birch, ash or maple about .5 cm x 12 cm x 12 cm.
- Examine the patterns of ovals and lines on your wood panel.
- Look at the panel from all directions.
- Decide which side will be the top.
- Use watercolours to create a design by following the patterns made by the grain of the wood.
- Think about how the colours you choose make you feel.
- While you are working practice mindfulness.
Pay attention to how:
- thecolours you choose make you feel
- paint flows across the surface of the wood
- your body responds as you add each new colour
- thoughts flow in and out of your mind without distracting you
- you accept your own ideas and don't make judgements about them
- you stop and slow your breathing down to refocus your attention
- you keep yourself calm and relaxed
- From time to time as you work look at the painting from a distance.
- Decide if you want to make any changes, for example,
- any of the colours.
- which side is the top
- Once your work is finished look at it with fresh eyes.
- How does it make you feel?
- What does it remind you of?
- What do you see that makes you say that?
- What do you like best about the painting?
- Give your work a title.