- Crayola Tempera Paint
- Crayola Washable No-Run Glue
- Crayola Paint Brushes
- Crayola Fine Line Markers
- Bristol Board - 16.5 cm x 30.5 cm (6" x 12") - 2 pieces per student
- Draw a fat snake the full length of the paper.
- Divide the snake into about 9 evenly spaced sections.
- This will be your value scale.
- Choose a primary colour and white to work with.
- Place a small amount of paint on the palette.
- Paint the tip of the snake white.
- Then mix a tiny bit of the primary colour into the white to make the palest tint.
- Gradually add more colour to the tint you just mixed to make the next section slightly darker.
- Continue painting the sections of the scale.
- End with the primary colour unmixed.
- Allow the painting to dry.
- Use black marker to decorate the snake with interesting line patterns.
- Make up your own or try using Zentangle patterns.
- Add some glitter glue and other embellishments to complete the snake.
- Use this artwork for the cover of a book.
- Place a popsicle stick at the left end on the snake painting.
- Mark 2 dots on the inside edge about 2 cm in from each end of the stick.
- Stack papers with the snake painting on top and another piece of Bristol board on the bottom.
- Paper clip all the pages together to hold them in place.
- Use a paper punch to make holes at the dots.
- Make sure the holes go through all the papers.
- Poke an elastic band from the back to the front through one hole.
- Place the popsicle stick through the loop of the elastic band at the front.
- Repeat for the other hole to fasten the book together.
- Write colourful stories and poetry in your book.