- Crayola Washable No-Run School Glue
- Crayola Washable Glue Sticks
- Crayola Variety Brush Set - 5 Count
- Crayola Project Paint
- Crayola Construction Paper - Red & Black
- Green Masking Tape
- Plastic Placemats - 1 per student
- Water Containers
- Plastic Container Lids for Palettes - 1 per student
- Paper Towels
- Recycles Newspapers
- Select a section of the newspaper to use.
- Cut out a piece 22.9 cm x 30.5 cm (9" x 12").
- Tape it to a plastic placemat.
- Mix blue and yellow together to get a light green colour.
- Add lots of water to a small amount of the colour.
- Paint a thin wash of colour over the newspaper.
- Set it aside to dry.
- Tear small pieces of paper to make poppies.
- Use a glue stick to glue each poppy together.
- Mix a variety of shades of green tempera paint.
- Do not add water to the mixtures.
- Paint lots of lines across the paper to add texture and variety.
- Play with the arrangement of the poppies until you have a composition that you are satisfied with.
- think of the rule of thirds when placing the poppies
- pay attention to the negative spaces
- let the poppies move your eye through the composition
- Put a small dab of white glue on the centre of the back of the poppies and attach them to the paper.
- Let the unglued edges of the poppies sit out from the paper so they cast a shadow.
- When you are satisfied with everything gently remove the masking tape.
- Mount the collage on a piece of contrasting construction paper and view it with fresh eyes.