- Crayola Coloured Pencils
- Crayola Glue Sticks
- Crayola Permanent Markers - Black
- Crayola Marker & Watercolour Paper - 22.9 cm x 30.5 cm (9" x 12") - 1 per student
- Crayola Scissors
- Recycled Magazines
- Choose an eye from a magazine image.
- Cut it out.
- Glue it to your paper to be the eye of your creature.
- Find clues about the creature in the lyrics of the Purple People Eatersong, for example,
- one eye
- one horn
- wings or something that allows it to fly
- gruff voice
- rock and roll
- feet turned inward
- music comes out of the horn
- Make a few rough sketches that include these characteristics.
- Test some colour combinations and layered colours.
- Choose the ideas you like best.
- Draw your creature in pencil first.
- When you are satisfied outline the drawing in black marker.
- Choose 2 or 3 colours from the same colour family as well as a contrasting colour to work with.
- Layer 2 or more colours and vary the pressure as you colour to create contrast.
- Add last minute details and clean up any pencil marks.
- View the work with fresh eyes.
- Does your design fit the mood and details of the song?
- What do you see that makes you say that?