- Crayola Tempera Paint
- Crayola Paint Brushes
- Crayola Marker & Watercolour Paper - 22.9 cm x 30.5 cm (9" x 12") - 1 piece per student
- Crayola Scissors
- Plastic Container Lids For Palettes - several per student
- Water Containers - 1 per student
- Paper Towels
- Cut out the templates or create 2 new shapes.
- Use them to create a design.
- Trace each template at least 5 times to compose an abstract design.
- As you are composing your design think about how you can:
- overlap the shapes and place them in different directions letting some of the edges go off the paper;
- balance the composition by making sure the shapes are evenly distributed;
- create new shapes by overlapping shapes;
- create new shapes because of the negative spaces.
- Choose a colour scheme.
- Paint the design.
- From time to time view the painting from a distance.
- Do the colours and shapes move your eye through the composition?
- Does it feel balanced and comfortable to look at?
- View the painting with fresh eyes.
- How do your eyes move through the composition?
- What comes to mind as you view the painting?
- What effect does the colour scheme have on the composition?
- What do you like best about your painting? Why?